Monday, January 9, 2017

Just starting out...

A Little Backgroud and Why Java?

Hi, I'm Jen.  I've decided to learn java. Many tech people have recommended starting a blog to record your journey, so here I am.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology. The degree I received was very general to the technology field.  I took Microsoft, Cisco, and database classes.  I received several certifications like A+, Network+, Security+. This gave me what I needed to get a career in tech but my degree did not give me specific enough skills to take my career to the next level.  I took one java class in school and it was the hardest of all of my computer classes.  I love math and computers have always interested me, so I came out even more determined to master java.

I would love to be able to sit back and create a few mobile apps, that just sounds exciting. I have read java can run on almost any device.  I would like to find out more about this as well as contribute to creating programs.  I also want to find out more about servlets and how businesses use them. Right now it is all a bit fuzzy but I have a basic understanding and am ready to dedicate the time and effort to learn this in 2017.

My goal is to have 1000 hours of learning completed by the end of 2017.  I have given myself 100 hours of credit for work already done in my college java class as well as work already completed on Udemy. My plan is to focus about 80% of my time on java.  The other 20% will be on skills like HTML, SQL and XML.  I would like to attend at least one or two meetups per month as well as read a few books along the way.

If you know of any free resources or have any suggestions, feel free to comment.  I am going to try to update this blog weekly as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment