Monday, January 16, 2017

End of Week One - 116 hours down

So, I have reached the end of week one with 116 hours of java to date.  This was the first week I was counting hours toward building my 1000 hours of java which is considered an entry level developer.

This week I read the first three chapters of Think Java by Allen B. Downey. The thing I have realized is I cannot just read the chapters. I am making flashcards and stopping and Googling things for more information so it takes longer than say an hour to read three chapters but that is ok since it is all relevant to the learning process. His book is a definite must read for beginners. I love
that the language he uses is easy to understand and he provides practice throughout the book.


I will leave the first week with this tip I discovered about debugging. When you are stuck on an issue you cannot figure out, often you can come to a conclusion by talking to another person about it. If no one is available, explain the issue step by step to an object (example: rubber duck) and you would be surprised how many times you can find a solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging

No comments:

Post a Comment