Monday, January 9, 2017

End of Day 1

Today I spent the first half of the day setting up a study plan and my Blogger.  I added pages to the Blogger which turned out to be a task in itself since you have to add a pages widget and then enable the pages in the layout before they will show.  I also added an hours counter widget to track my progress.

I spent a couple hours following the free tutorials "Java Tutorial for Complete Beginners" on Udemy by John Purcell.  These are excellent and I would highly recommend.  They are easy to follow and he explains most everything as you go.  I just finished String Builder and String Formatting which is in Section 2 number 24.

My plan is to spend some time watching and following videos, some time reading, and some time just practicing.

The last hour or so I spent on the programmingbydoing.com website. Here they have you run java practice programs from the command line to start.  I didn't get very far before I ran into an error "'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command".  I had run into this error a couple months ago, but today was determined to fix it.

After much googling, I found that I needed to set environmental variables in my computer for java to run properly from the command prompt. This will vary by operating system, but if you search for environmental variables, your operating system (Windows 10 for me), and java, you should be able to find the answer.

Here are the environmental variables that worked for my computer with Windows 10:

Environmental Variables:
JAVA_HOME
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_74

PATH
%JAVA_HOME%\bin


No comments:

Post a Comment