Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Naperville Open Hack

This is one of the closest meetups to my house, but I always seem to miss it for some reason. Often it conflicts with another meetup, and since it is only once a month I have to make sure to catch the post and put it on my calendar.

So when I finally made it to attend I was so happy that I did. I met another coder who is working on Free Code Camp, and we talked about our progress and where we were on the projects. This is one of the first times that I was actually able to help someone else which felt pretty good.

After he left, I started speaking with another person there about Java. I mentioned how I posted my code for my simple Tic Tac Toe game online, and someone gave me feedback that I need to turn the game into one using objects. He was able to give me a lot of good advice as well as point me to the book Thinking in Java. I started reading this book over the weekend and it is the best description of objects and classes that I have read yet. It actually tells you what things are doing and breaks them down. I was so looking for this when I was reading Head First Java. That was one of the things I did not like about HFJ, it refers you to pretend you are using a remote control when I would rather they just tell me what is really going on behind the scenes. So, I plan to take this information and redo my Tic Tac Toe game into one that uses objects and has a GUI.

This was a great meetup! I do plan to attend again and really felt I learned something from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment