Monday, September 4, 2017

Change of Course

After quite a bit of thought, I decided to close the Beginner Java Group I had hosted at the Bolingbrook Library for the past six months. The attendance was very low and intermittent as well as there were just too many skill levels to keep working at a good pace that worked for everyone. I did meet many great people along the way and plan to continue to keep in touch with many of them as well as see them at other local meetups and conferences. After that difficult decision, I took a couple weeks to refocus my learning plan.

I decided to continue to learn Java as well as continue to work on Free Code Camp. Free Code Camp has a ton of learning support and I have found it easier to keep going learning to code within this group supported by message boards, chats and You Tube videos. I have also found a Java Group on Facebook that has tons of resources "Java Software Development Group" so I plan on using a lot of the resources from here, CJUG, IJUG, books, and the Spring guides to keep learning Java. It is still hard to plan not knowing what languages I will be working with at my first junior developer job, but I know a lot of the languages and skills are similar/transferable and I still feel I am on a good path.

No comments:

Post a Comment