Wednesday, February 8, 2017


IJUG.jpeg

My First Visit to...


So being new to Java, I knew going to the Java User Group meetings would be over my head and a bit advanced. I was hoping to learn some terminology and get to see exactly what they do at these meetups and this I did, I was not disappointed. Before this, I had no idea what DevOps was referring to. I found out that this is a combination of the Development Team at a company and the Operations Team working together to ensure the technology works especially at large corporations. As resources and load bearing on devices become more increasing with demands of large data, these teams must work together to ensure nothing crashes. This Meetup was about using the cloud to run services.


As far as the very technical parts of the meeting I could not tell you much. I was able to follow along on Oracle Virtual Box for about half of the presentation before they started going too fast. I considered this a win since I saw others in the room get lost before I did which was encouraging.

I also learned something that was not java specific. One of the leaders of the group pointed out that you can see what technology is trending in demand on job boards such as https://www.indeed.com/.  There is a link on the bottom of their page for “Trends”. If you enter in several items you would like to compare (ex: Java, HTML, CSS, Python, C), you can then see what are the most in demand skills currently. To me, attending a Meetup is a success if you learn even one thing. Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment